Saturday, January 17, 2009

A.W. Tozer's Legacy

I am reading The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer, a short, 121-page book, which does not happen to be a quick read. It is packed with goodness.

Inspired by Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God." (KJV) , this book has become a journey and is painfully awakening. I am stirred to know God intimately-all the more. ('Cheers' to the word for 2009!)

So, Tozer's legacy? ..."quietness of soul"

It is the first words of the first page in the Preface (yes, Preface!) and I couldn't go on. Surely this is God's promise, will and desire for us all... to be still, as the Psalmist exhorts us.

"Too many have come to accept turbulence of soul as the norm and have ceased to seek God with their whole hearts."

Being still, experiencing peace and living with inner rest are things I have to be so intentional with. It does not come natural. Whether that is a result of the fallen nature (of mankind) or my crazy-driven personality, it does not matter... I must know God intimately so His presence and peace dictates the state of my soul - continually. I believe anything contrary separates me from the best life.

Painfully exposing... the human thirst for the Divine (subtitle).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's a great book and great thoughts related to it. I do think we as believers must pursue the "ark" of the new testament believer, which, as you know, is intimacy with God.

I am so excited for 09 and everything God has for His church. Keep posting about your journey.